Integrates Jenkins with the Jabber/XMPP instant messaging protocol. Note that you also need to install the instant-messaging plugin.This plugin enables Jenkins to send build notifications via Jabber, as well as let users talk to Jenkins via a 'bot' to run commands, query build status etc..
This plugin needs the instant-messaging plugin. Please ensure that the latest version of this plug-in is also installed.
Java 7 Needed
Note that since version 1.26 Java 7 is needed as a requirement to run the plugin.
User authenticated user for the command 'bot'
If you have a secure Jenkins that does not allow anonymous user to build, you will need to have a user for Jabber. !build command can give an error as discussed in JENKINS-15897. As of version 1.35, the error is misleading as Jenkins complains about the command syntax instead of unauthorized access error.
Adding a dedicated authenticated user for the bot could fix this problem:
- Add a new Jenkins user (will assume the username is notification)
- If using Matrix-based security (Manage Jenkins -> Configure Global Security), add permission for the notification user for Job build, cancel, discover and read
- Create a new global credentials and set the password for the user notification
- In Jabber Plugin Configuration, set the Jenkins username to notification
If you experience any problems using the plugin please increase the log level of the logger hudson.plugins.jabber to FINEST (see Logging ), try to reproduce the problem and attach the collected logs to the JIRA issue.
Version 1.37 (2019-05-27)
- Bumped Smack to 4.3.4 JENKINS-51487 - Getting issue details... STATUS
Version 1.36 (2017-07-22)
- Bumped Smack to 4.1.9 JENKINS-45599 - Getting issue details... STATUS
Version 1.35 (2015-05-02)
- Fixed 'retry with legacy SSL' logic if server doesn't respond at all to other connection attempts JENKINS-28169
Version 1.33 (2015-02-16)
- Don't make concurrent build wait because previous build finished yet (with instant-messaging-plugin 1.33) JENKINS-26892
Version 1.31 (Dec. 20, 2014)
- Re-enable vCard support and provide a real fix for JENKINS-25676
- Fix: 'DNS name not found' bug (JENKINS-25505)
Version 1.30 (Nov. 20, 2014)
- Completely disable vCard support, because of another potential bug in Smack (JENKINS-25676)
Version 1.29 (Nov. 10, 2014)
- Workaround for vCard parsing problem in Smack library (JENKINS-25515)
Version 1.28 (Oct. 28, 2014)
- HipChat closes connections after 150s of inactivity. Implemented keep-alive for HipChat (JENKINS-25222)
Version 1.27 (Oct. 26, 2014)
- Fix: old messages in chatrooms weren't ignored by v1.26
Version 1.26 (Oct. 14, 2014)
- Attention: Needs Java 7 at least. If you're still using Java 6, stay with version 1.25!
- add an option to accept all (untrusted) SSL certificates
- Upgrade to Smack Api 4.0.4
Version 1.25 (Dec. 15, 2012)
- support resource in Jabber IDs
- use configured nickname as general nick, too, not just in chatrooms (JENKINS-11903)
Version 1.24 (Oct. 13, 2012)
- Fixed a bug when upgrading from older versions on Windows (JENKINS-15469)
- See instant-messaging plugin 1.22 for new features. Also:
- fixed NullPointerException when migrating from a previous version and no group chats were configured (JENKINS-13925)
See instant-messaging plugin 1.21 for new features.
- support password-protected chat rooms (JENKINS-11407)
- fixed problem with e-mail address as jabber id option (JENKINS-11443)
- the bot user now has a nice vCard/avatar image
- DNS lookup of Jabber server by servicename didn't work (JENKINS-10523)
- new option to allow e-mail addresses to be used as Jabber ids (JENKINS-8594)
- bot commands via private message were not recognized under certain circumstances (JENKINS-9954)
- upgrade Smack library to 3.2 - fixes several problems with ejabberd and googletalk (JENKINS-5345, JENKINS-7060, JENKINS-8426)
- See Instant-Messaging plugin 1.16 for new features
- See Instant-Messaging plugin 1.15 for new features
- proxy support (thanks to felfert for the patch)
- see instant-messaging plugin 1.14 for further changes!
- new feature: new chat notifier which prints the failing tests, too JENKINS-7035
- improvement: bot commands are now extensible and open for other plugins (see class BotCommand).
- improvement: added an extension point to customize the message the bot sends to chats for notification (see class BuildToChatNotifier).
- improvement: re-added legacy SSL support (seems like there are still some XMPP servers out there which need it) (JENKINS-6863 )
- fixed: disconnects (and no reconnects) when changing the global config (JENKINS-6993)
- improved behaviour when plugin is disabled. I.e. doesn't log unnecessary stuff.
- fixed: plugin's configure option not visible JENKINS-5978 JENKINS-5233
- fixed: notify upstream commiter would have notified committers of 'old' builds (JENKINS-6712)
- improvement: print useful project names for matrix jobs (JENKINS-6560 )
- fixed: don't delay Hudson startup (JENKINS-4346 )
- feature: userstat command for bot (JENKINS-6147 )
- fixed: don't count offline computer for the executors count (JENKINS-6387)
- improvement: print fully qualified Jabber ID in build cause (JENKINS-4970 )
- allow to pass build parameters with the build command (JENKINS-5058 )
- fixed: bot disconnected from conferences when expose presence was false (JENKINS-6101 )
- fixed connection problem with eJabberd (JENKINS-6032)
- fixed connection problem with GoogleTalk
- if connection does not out-of-the-box, please disable SASL authentication (new Jabber option under 'Configure System') and try again
- fixed connection problem with Prosody server (JENKINS-5803)
ATTENTION again: there seem to be issues authenticating to several Jabber servers with this release. So currently the best option is to stay with Jabber v1.5 and instant-messaging v1.4. Sorry for all the inconvenience!
- fixed regression introduced in 1.6: old target configurations weren't read correctly (JENKINS-5976)
- upgrade to Smack library 3.1.0
- ATTENTION: Legacy SSL is no longer supported. If you really need Legacy SSL, you should stay with v1.5 and instant-messaging plugin v1.4.
- Acceptance mode for subscription requests is now configurable
- Attention: this feature is not tested thoroughly, yet
ATTENTION: there seems to be an issue with reading old configs. I'll publish a fixed version shortly!
- compatibility with instant-messaging plugin 1.5
- new option to inform upstream committers (JENKINS-4629 )
- compatibility with instant-messaging plugin 1.3
- some very minor issues
- fixed: NullPointerException if plugin was disabled in global config
- fixed wrong order of Hudson credentials [JENKINS-4721 ]
- works in secured Hudson instances if you specify a username and password for the Jabber bot
- new !comment command which adds a description to builds
- show dependency to instant-messaging plugin in update center description (D'oh, that didn't work as expected. Hope it will in 1.2)
- this version needs Hudson 1.319 or higher
- This is the first release which is based on the Instant Messaging
- Make sure that the instant messaging plugin is installed, too
- ATTENTION: Although much care has been taken to make this version compatible with 0.11 it cannot be guaranteed that all configuration options can be migrated successfully!
- enable/disable checkbox [JENKINS-2495]
- made reconnection logic more robust
- fixed status not going back to 'available' after build finishes (again) [JENKINS-4337]
- fixed per-job configuration display
- fixed jabber user-property not being visible
- command aliases in bot
- fixed status not going back to 'available' after build finishes [JENKINS-4337]
- option to inform 'culprits' on subsequent build failures
- fixed infinite loop if previous build was aborted [JENKINS-4290]
- plugin's Jabber status changes based on Hudson's busy state [JENKINS-620]
- fixed handling of single quotes [JENKINS-3215]
- started refactoring to split-out protocol independent part in a shareable plugin
- automatic reconnect on lost connections
- new notification strategy: "failures and fixes"
- default suffix for Jabber IDs. When entered, Jabber IDs can be
inferred from Hudson user ids
I.e. Jabber ID = <hudson_id><extension> (issue #1527)
- 'botsnack' command massively improved
- 'status' command can show all jobs for a view (-v <view>)
- new 'health' command
- bot now also works in 1-on-1 chat (issue 4057)
- lots of refactorings and code clean up
- Two new commands are added: "!testresult" and "!abort"
- URL Encoding in messages for SCM suspects (issue #2693)
- Add legacy SSL support and alternate nickname for group-chat (issue #2699)
- Jobs with spaces can now be launched via messages (issue #2700)
- Notification for maven builds
- Updated to work with Hudson 1.218.
- Fix for url encoding (issue #909)
- Organized the configuration screen for gradual exposure to details.
- The plugin now works with Google Talk. (JENKINS-1021)
- Improved help documentation.
- Fixed NPE when no initial group chat is configured.