This plugin allows the use of URLs as an SCM.
This is an SCM plugin for Jenkins. While URLs are not actually a proper
SCM, the two main behaviors of an SCM are supported - checkout and
polling. Polling is accomplished by checking the last-modified property
of the URL. Checkout is accomplished by copying the content of the URL
into the workspace as a file. The file is given the same name as the
final filename component of the URL. URLs without a filename component
cannot be used at this time.
This does duplicate some of what the URLChange Trigger plugin does.
Benefits this plugin over the URLChange Trigger are:
- You can choose your own polling schedule via the SCM Polling trigger.
- Less resource intensive polling mechanism, since checking last-modified requires few bytes to transfer, regardless of the amount of data in the URL.
Benefits of URLChange Trigger over this plugin:
- Jenkins only supports one SCM plugin per project. If you want to trigger an SCM checkout via a URL, then URLChange Trigger is a better choice.
- The last-modified property of a URL is not the right trigger for your builds, instead you need the content of the URL to change to trigger a build.
- Update code for more recent Hudson