Docker Slaves1.0.7Minimum Jenkins requirement: 1.651.2ID: docker-slaves
Use Containers to setup build agents, without any constraint on images you can use.
- [✓] use ANY docker image, without any jenkins-specific prerequisite
- [✓] no SSHD inside container, no JNLP port exposed over the Internet
- [✓] compose your build à la docker-compose with a main build container and sidecar containers for test database, selenium browser, etc
- [✓] define container used for the build as a Dockerfile stored in project SCM - aka "continuous delivery as code"
- [✓] support Pipeline
- [✓] rely on docker volumes to offer workspace persistence between builds
- [✓] extensibility for various docker hosting solutions
In your jobs, new option let you define your build environment as a combination of Docker images / Dockerfiles
Fix support for Docker host credentials
Add support for docker socket bind mount via a dedicated binding container. This let you run `docker build` from your build container
Plugin has been moved to jenkinsci github organization so we can publish it in public update center
0.5 - proof of concept
This version has been released at DevoxxFrance while we demonstrated the plugin, so people can give it a try and let us know if it was useful
Why (yet another) Docker plugin ?
Most plugins around use docker as a lightweight virtual machine, but don't embrace containers paradigm shift and how they impact CI/CD.
This plugin has been designed as a pure experiment during Docker Global Hack Day. It's under active development. Plugin authors are CloudBees employees, but the plugin isn't a CloudBees product, please consider this as individuals public experiment.
Read more on https://dockins.github.io
If something goes wrong (sic), please first run Jenkins master with
-Dit.dockins.dockerslaves.spi.DockerDriver.verbose=true . This will dump in build log all docker commands ran by the plugin and help us understand the issue.
Then, ask for assistance on jenkins-users mailing list and/or report a bug on https://issues.jenkins-ci.org
There's many possible improvements / features we'd like to experiment.
- integrate with Pipeline plugin, especially replace DurableTask by a docker based implementation, running docker commands detached (-d) and polling using docker API for execution status. Would need some way to replace the
- consider using a java based docker client for Docker API, so we don't rely on running external commands (and related threads usage)
- integrate with docker orchestrators (amazon ECS, Kubernetes, Hyper_ ...) as an alternative backend
- offer isolated Docker host per build, typically relying on docker inside LXD containers.
- Let build use of docker as part of the build (i.e. bind mount docker.sock in build container)
- experiment with docker volume plugins (flocker) for workspace snapshoting and offline browsing of the exact workspace for a specific build.
- experiment pipeline support for volumes
- support docker 1.12 swarm mode JENKINS-38203
- expose docker.sock so build can run `doker build` (aka "inception") JENKINS-37088